Music Mariah Carey: The Singles Rate

ill definitely do this but i like most of her singles in the nighties so its sorta even harder to do it, maybe ill do it more strategically. whens the deadline?
I haven't set a deadline yet.. it would be great if we could aim for Sept. 20th? Then I could start over that weekend, but we'll see how many I get

Comment
you can have ONE more day (because of time zones)

i will start with 50-40 tomorrow night around this time

Comment

50. Hero
Score: 3.636 :deadbanana3:

Despite being a remembered '90s power ballad, nobody likes it.

Literally. Even Mariah herself has expressed her distaste for this song. I mean sure it was successful, Rihanna covered it and everything, but does that really matter when its this BLAND?

People that gave this 0s: Subby, Supreme, Ridley
Everyone else gave this a 6 or lower except for Tails - 8 and Sloth - 8.5 :eeveeshook:

Supreme mentioned "mama this is garbaj" while Ridley referenced Rihanna her cover "Comically horrid. Rihanna's cover ruined any goodwill Hero may have had with me.". I mean, this whole time I typed this out I had it playing in the background and FORGOT it was on. Goodbye.

@Subzinista! @Happiness is a butterfly @Cinnamon Girl @charles. @Ridley @Genos @sloth @Tails. @Bertha @LONGWAY2GO - bird world

Comment

49. When You Believe (with Whitney Houston)
Score: 3.727

I'm not that surprised this would be super low either. It's cool in theory I guess? Two of the biggest female artists in the '90s collaborated for a feature film soundtrack and yet it fails to really go anywhere it could. Then again these big ballads were their own bad pop music trend at the time so its expected.

Score wise, Jay, Genos, Supreme, and Subby all gave it a 2 or 3 but it was Ridley that PUNCHED with the 0.
Interestingly it's highest score was only a 6 (the lowest high score of any song of course) but because Hero was dragged more with the 0s it got to be 49th.

Ridley urged that Mariah "STOP WITH THE BALLADS." which... is not an uncommon opinion! I even cut down the amount of random ballads where I could for this rate n. Subby remarked "Whitney bad music influence got to her" while Supreme just offered "bad". That is true.

Comment

48. I'll Be There (with... I don't remember)
Score: 4.181

So I think its interesting that this was hated because I don't mind it, but then again Michael Jackson's influence I guess? Interestingly among her 18 #1 hits I believe this is the only one she didn't write/co-write as its a cover of the Jackson 5 song. It's a cute song but for me it doesn't reach any huge height or anything.

The backstory is kind of interesting though. Apparently prior to this MTV Live session critics thought her voice was too good to be true and speculated there was some editing going on.

Scores: Supreme, Jay, and Genos all gave this a 1 or a 0
Sloth was the only one to give this above a 6 giving it... a 7

Every comment referenced MJ :rip:

Ridley: "MJ is rotting underground."
Subby: "Revived her European career but also put money into Molestor J's bank acc :/"
Supreme: "pedo jacksson is a rotten diseased CORPSE, mr george michael is in heaven right now with all his gay lovers, sippin on a pina colada and pissing at pedo jackson hihi "

shshss well​

Comment

47. One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men)
Score: 4.500

I'll be honest, I do quite like this song, but its also kind of boring so there's that. Anyway as we know this used to hold the record for the longest run at #1 until Lil Nas X broke the record just this year. It's impressive nonetheless to see talented artists of colour passing the torch for this record :clap3:

As you can see I have nothing much to say bout the song.

Scores: Ridley and Sub gave it ZEROES
Radiohead, Tails, and I gave it 7-8s.

Subby celebrated Lil Nas X's achievement by stating "Thank GOD gay legend Lil Nas X stole the record from this turgid pile of shit". Supreme poetically mused "and i know bluth is shining down on me from the uk, like so many friends we lost along the way", while Ridley simply remarked "Awful." Meanwhile I say its not that bad but I digress.

Comment

yes that's the thumbnail for the video :deadbanana3:

46. Endless Love (with Luther Vandross)

Score: 4.805

I'm sensing a pattern in our take on her collaborations...

Of note this is the only song Tails gave a bad score to, giving it a 1. Meanwhile Charles was our highest scorer giving it an 8.
A few other highish scores included Ridley's 6.85, while some lower end scores included Supreme's 2 and Jay's 3.

Ridley mentioned a previous rendition of this song: "As someone who likes Lionel and Diana's rendition it might have been expected that I would find this "meh". But between Mariah's harmonies and her chemistry with Luther, I was sold.", while Supreme was less enthused by her collaborative partner saying "idk i never listened to this but it has luther vandross so it cant be good sorry haters".

Comment

45. Up Out My Face (featuring Nicki Minaj)
Score: 5.181

I'll be honest I only included this because of this:

Fun fact this song peaked at #100 on the Hot 100

Supreme: "this whole feud is a kii poor garbaj"
Ridley: "Sub and Annie's collab. For real though, this knocks. Video is campy as hell too."

Scores: Charles gave it a 0, Genos and Bertha both gave it 1 and a 2
Jay and Ridley both stanned though with a 9 and 8.55 respectively :eeveeshook:

i'll be honest one of my favourite parts is the outro with the marching band! The rest... I don't care for.​

Comment

44. Bye Bye
Score: 5.272

Infamously this brought the E=MC2 era to a screeching halt. Could she have had a 19th #1 if not for this being the follow up single? Who knows. One has to wonder if Billboard counted the streams from the memes created this could retroactively be a hit :eeveeshook:

Scores: Subby gave it a 0
Ridley gave a 7.5, and quite a few others actually gave 7ish scores.

Though I have to wonder if anyone actually likes the song or, like Ridley, is here for the kiis "I had to bump my score up for all the comedy this song has brought alone. :ahh2:" or Subby's "career ending meme bop".​

Comment

43. I Know What You Want (with Busta Rhymes)
Score: 5.405

I honestly thought this would perform a bit better? But I don't think her collaborations were particularly well liked as a whole.

I personally like this song and it gives me a bit of nostalgia, but I don't know how much I love it.

Radiohead gave it a 10 :eeveeshook: Ridley gave a 7.45, and I gave it a 7 along with Genos
Subby gave a 0 and Supreme gave a 2

Ridley: "This is the kinda music Bruno listens to when he gets his back blown out."

Comment

42. Crybaby (featuring Snoop Dogg)
Score: 5.5

Ahhh I love the Rainbow era slkdjfsd its just so weird and messy. I had to include as many singles as I could. Everything about this is so bizarre as a song :deadbanana3: I can't imagine a current pop girl releasing something so weirdly off-putting like this. Of course I gave it a good score.

Charles gave this a 0 and Jay gave it a 2
Supreme, Genos, and Tails gave an 8

Comments wise, Ridley brought up a hilarious point about how messy everything to do with Rainbow is noting "So funny how the video kept getting deleted from her YT channel, only to be re-uploaded in slightly better clarity." sljshs. Subby also inquired "People knew she was a bit crazy by the time of this era surely?" I mean this video didn't do her many favours!​

Comment

41. Boy (I Need You) (feat. Cam'Ron)
Score: 5.664

Speaking of crazy. Watch the music video for this and then sign my petition to have Mariah Carey receive a future Vanguard Award at the VMAs.

This song is a unique interpretation of early '00s bubblegum imo, its also the only song I chose to include from Charmbracelet which remains one of the worst pop girl albums I have ever heard.

Scores: 8 from Ridley, 3 from Genos and Jay
Mostly people gave this song a score of 5/6 which is fair I guess.

Ridley: "Bop. Also has an iconic PERFORMANCE. :jonny2:"

Subby: "The video is literally what it looks like in Mariah's head all the time" shshsh :jonny:

I feel like I underrated this a BIT

anyway last one for tonight. Next time I will try to choose a more popular time to update. Enjoy these write-ups and thank you for participating!​

Comment

50. Hero
Score: 3.636 :deadbanana3:

Despite being a remembered '90s power ballad, nobody likes it.

Literally. Even Mariah herself has expressed her distaste for this song. I mean sure it was successful, Rihanna covered it and everything, but does that really matter when its this BLAND?

People that gave this 0s: Subby, Supreme, Ridley
Everyone else gave this a 6 or lower except for Tails - 8 and Sloth - 8.5 :eeveeshook:

Supreme mentioned "mama this is garbaj" while Ridley referenced Rihanna her cover "Comically horrid. Rihanna's cover ruined any goodwill Hero may have had with me.". I mean, this whole time I typed this out I had it playing in the background and FORGOT it was on. Goodbye.

@Subzinista! @Happiness is a butterfly @Cinnamon Girl @charles. @Ridley @Genos @sloth @Tails. @Bertha @LONGWAY2GO - bird world
Andy :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Comment

Fresh Threads

Forum software by XenForo® © 2010-2020 XenForo Ltd.
Advanced Forum Stats by AddonFlare - Premium XF2 Addons
| Add-ons by ThemeHouse Modified Theme by xenfocus