🎭 2019 Film & TV Discussion

Mal

Beep beep move bitch

This might flop idk, but we'll see. Anyway, I thought it could be a cool idea if we had a thread specifically to discuss 2019 in film & tv. Stuff like what films and tv series we're looking forward to, our favourites of the year so far, who we think gave the best performances, what projects are getting the most buzz, general news, and even though it's still early, possible awards contenders. We can still use the main thread for that stuff as well, but they have threads like this on alot of other forums and it would be fun to have a specific hub + it could be helpful (at least to me since i'm trying to get back into the scene (love shaking my bussy)) for people to learn of things they may normally miss.

I can update the OP with our favourite acting performances and stuff if anyone has suggestions. So let me know what y'all think.

@Allstar @Taylord @Godrey @Daltonius Skywalker @Penk @anyone else interested

(sorry if i forgot someone who has an interest in film/tv)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mal

Beep beep move bitch
I saw the previews for Special on Netflix! It seemed sweet. I might have to check it out. The poster for Good Omens looks lit but tbh I know nothing about it

I saw the previews for Special on Netflix! It seemed sweet. I might have to check it out. The poster for Good Omens looks lit but tbh I know nothing about it
I’m biased with special cuz it’s one of the very few shows that represent a gay disabled character as the leading role. Actually I don’t know any other show that’s doing it (love shaking my bussy)

Good omens is okay. I mostly just watch it for the homoerotic dynamic between Michael Sheen and David Tennant

Reactions: Mal
What’s the deal with Shrill
i thought it was gonna be one of those "fat-positive" shows which there is nothing wrong with, just that they usually don't have much substance other than "i'm fat and that's okay!!" but Shrill is the one show that gets it right imo, it's very layered and complex, deals with a lot of emotions and perceptions on fat people. the whole show is grounded in humor (i really like her sense of humor) so i never felt alienated for one second while watching the show.

Shrill is good!! I didn't like Special at all
you like shrill but not special, i'm-

why do you hate special again?

Shrill is MUCH better and it has one of the year's most beautiful episodes.

Special is pretty terrible. I respect and understand that you feel heard in it and love that about it, though.

But apart from its terrible filmmaking it's a very hasty, lazy show where real character insight is continually cut short mostly because scenes are way too short to leave any interesting mark or be able to say something worthwhile on basically anything, it's very common sense but untrue generalizing of insight most of the time (and I don't mean its treatment of disability with that) and that dialogue and acting... They needed much more time each episode to do anything with this, even his disabled self hate, probably the most interesting and unique angle the show has, just got thrown in and resolved in such hammy strokes I find it hard to view it as actually meaningful.

The last few eps were better, though.

Last edited:
Shrill is MUCH better and it has one of the year's most beautiful episodes.

Special is pretty terrible. I respect and understand that you feel heard in it and love that about it, though.

But apart from its terrible filmmaking it's a very hasty, lazy show where real character insight is continually cut short mostly because scenes are way too short to leave any interesting mark or be able to say something worthwhile on basically anything, it's very common sense but untrue generalizing of insight most of the time (and I don't mean its treatment of disability with that) and that dialogue and acting... They needed much more time each episode to do anything with this, even his disabled self hate, probably the most interesting and unique angle the show has, just got thrown in and resolved in such hammy strokes I find it hard to view it as actually meaningful.

The last few eps were better, though.
hmm I see what you're saying. I need to rewatch it again for a more objective and critical viewing. I was excited at the premise of a gay, disabled character taking lead for once so I was watching it through that lens.

The episodes are wayy too short, it's like a youtube mini tv series—the show definitely needs more time to flesh out the unique complexities and interactions that come with having a disability. I really hope they get continued for 2nd season with longer episodes because I feel like Ryan O'Connell is just starting to hit his stride in television. I've been following him since the thought catalog days so it's nice to see him grow and explore new mediums.

hm lots of "good" tv this year but few shows that blew me away.

fleabag s2, when they see us, cherNObyl, fosse/verdon, russian doll, ramy, catastrophe (maybe my favorite finale of the year despite having so many of the best tv comedies of the decade finishing this year) and succession if it stays this good all season. broad city, odaat, documentary now punched a lot but the sum of it wasn't quite on the same level.

cxgf & jane the virgin had quite beautifully concluded final seasons but not truly great ones and def not as great as the perfect penultimate jane had delivered.

but more good ones were on my block s2, GLOW, pen15, POSE, VIDA (!!!!!!!), mindhunter, derry girls, back to life, tuca & bertie. i personally also loved better things and dear white people's new seasons but either failed to shine compared to the stellar previous ones.

cute shows: the other two, sex edugaytion, dead to me, years and years, la casa de papel, idk ...

Genos

vice grip
TV:
Euphoria
When They See Us
Chernobyl
Fleabag
Pose
Dead to Me
Schitt’s Creek

Film:
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Little Woods
Asako I & II
Booksmart
Transit
Slut in a Good Way

Definitely prefer TV so far. Chernobyl in particular is probably my favorite piece of media of the year.

Genos

vice grip
Those are 2018 babe but you had BETTER stan esp the former :jonny:

did you ever watch Ryusuke's Happy Hour?
Oops I tend to go more by US release dates. Also, never got a chance to see Happy Hour. Nothing by me ever played it and I’m not sure if there’s a DVD release?

supreme in french

its me your australian bitch
Oops I tend to go more by US release dates. Also, never got a chance to see Happy Hour. Nothing by me ever played it and I’m not sure if there’s a DVD release?
I'm holding a special screening inside of me
Why don't you come see it :supreme6:

it even got a blu ray release!

not that it matters bc I downloaded it but yes, it got a release:

Genos

vice grip
it even got a blu ray release!

not that it matters bc I downloaded it but yes, it got a release:

I'll add it to my list! :duca:

@Cinnamon Girl Agreed. Based on reviews there doesn't even seem to be much passion An Officer and a Spy. At it's best, it's just "good" if a bit old-fashioned in its storytelling elements. Of course, there are already cries of bias if it doesn't win anything and then if it does there's an even bigger issue. Barbera is so lame for giving it a competition slot and even more lame for apparently speaking to the press about it.

Genos

vice grip

I cannot recommend this enough. Tessa Thompson is tremendous here and the film is such a powerful meditation on the lower-middle-class milieu and that backdropped against, imo, the tightest screenplay of the year, so far, is really good stuff. This is Nia DaCosta's debut feature and I see very good things in her future. Very reminiscent of Kelly Reichardt without coming off as derivative.

Top Reload Bottom