TV 🛡 Game of Thrones—BR's Best Moments: And now our rate has ended.

(thanks to @sloth for the beautiful banner!)

Welcome to our first (and considering how it's going also final) Game of Thrones rate!

Welp, aside from what the show has become, 'Game of Thrones' has still delivered us with plenty of TV's very biggest moments.
Many of those were so captivating because they were results and pay-offs of actions and mistakes characters have made over years and served as climactic and logic culminations to those actions. They had real consequences that were explored and felt organic and right, and yet, they often still came as a surprise that didn't cheat the audience. They could be emotional, frustrating, joyful, suspenseful or heart-breaking, and sometimes even all at the same time!

Other moments, on the other hand....Well, let's not dwell on this!

Thus, in honor of 'Game of Thrones' ending, let's remember our finest, best and most favorite moments of this show that prove just why exactly we started caring about it in first place!

PLEASE participate anyway and I'll love you forever but also as a reminder to how great and clever the show's storytelling could be in the past and as a last tribute to characters that some of us have genuinely grown to root and care for over the years.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

• Prologue: First Sight of the White Walkers
  • Bran is shoved down tower
  • Khal Drogo “rapes” Daenerys
  • Daenerys eats a hosrse's heart
  • Viserys is given a golden crown
  • Cersei and King Robert talk about their marriage
  • Ned confronts Cersei
  • Varys visits Ned in the cellars
  • Ned is beheaded
  • Khal Drogo dies
  • Robb and Catelyn mourn Ned Stark's death
  • Robb is crowned King in the North
  • Daenerys' Birth of the Dragons
  • Arya and Tywin conversations
  • Theon is baptised by the Drowned God
  • Melisandre births a shadow
  • Renly Baratheon is murdered by a shadow
  • Theon’s Speech at Winterfell’s Conquest
  • Cersei: Power is Power
  • Tyrion scheming montage on Varys, Pycelle and Littlefinger
  • Tyrion and Cersei discuss Joffrey and her children
  • Battle of Blackwater
  • Cersei's escapades during the Battle of Blackwater (drunk and malicious, sitting on the Iron Throne)
  • Shae declares her love for Tyrion and Robb marries Talisa
  • Winterfell is destroyed and Maester Luwin dies
  • Daenerys meets Khal Drogo at the House of the Undying
  • Daenerys' frees her dragons, first 'Dracarys' moment
  • Arrival of the White Walker Army
  • Daenerys betrays the Slave Masters, 'Dracarys' and gets the Unsullied
  • Jaime and Brienne's sword fight
  • Jaime loses his hand after defending Brienne
  • Catelyn remembers how she cared Jon back to health and still contempted him
  • Margaery wraps Joffrey around her fingers
  • Jon and Ygritte's cave scene
  • The Hound and Berric Dondarion fight
  • Theon admitting Ned is his true father, Winterfell is his home
  • Jaime tells Brienne the truth about the Mad King
  • Littlefinger: Chaos is a Ladder
  • Jon and Ygritte's kiss up on the Wall
  • Olenna and Cersei tour the Sept with Joffrey/Margaery, talking about sons
  • Sam kills a White Walker
  • Tywin tells and forces Tyrion and Cersei they have to marry Sansa/Loras
  • The Red Wedding
  • Sansa marries Tyrion
  • Sansa grieves the Red Wedding
  • The Lannisters celebrate the Red Wedding/ Tywin to Joffrey: "Any man who must say I am the King is no true king"
  • Tyrion and Cersei discuss her love for her children
  • Jamie and Cersei reunite
  • Daenerys frees Meereen – Mhysa
  • Purple Wedding – Joffrey’s death
  • Tyrion’s trial (speech)
  • Sansa turns "dark"
  • Jaime gifts Brienne his Valyrian Sword
  • Oberyn bisexual scene
  • Littlefinger pushes Lysa out of the Sky Door
  • Tyrion gives a parable about power (beetle parable) in his cell
  • Mountain vs the Viper/Oberyn’s death
  • Tywin and Cersei: Your Legacy is a Lie
  • Brienne vs The Hound
  • Tyrion murders Tywin and Shae
  • Valar Morghulis: Arya sails to Bravos
  • Jaime and Bronn vs the Sand Snakes
  • Brienne opens up about her childhood and love for Renly
  • Hardhome
  • Daenerys flies Drogon
  • Cersei’s Walk of Shame
  • Stannis sacrifices Shireen
  • Brienne murders Stannis (off-screen)
  • Arya murders Meryn Trant
  • Bad Poosy
  • Theon and Sansa escape
  • Jon is murdered by the Night's Watch
  • Melisandre reveals her true self
  • Jon is resurrected
  • Brienne pledges to protect Sansa
  • Sansa and Jon reunite
  • Sansa confronts Littlefinger about her rape and abuse
  • Daenerys unites all Khalasars
  • Arya and the Braavos theater
  • The High Sparrow talks about his past
  • Margaery forges pact with the High Sparrow
  • Bran learns the truth about the White Walkers and the Night King
  • Hodor's sacrifice and reveal
  • Terminarya vs the Waif
  • The Hound is alive
  • Jamie and Brienne reunite
  • Daenerys fights the Slave Masters
  • Battle of the Bastards
  • Sansa feeds Ramsay to his hounds
  • Destruction of the Great Sept
  • Lyanna is Jon’s mother reveal
  • Jon is crowned the King in the North
  • Cersei is crowned the Queen of the Seven (Six) Kingdoms
  • Daenerys sails to Westeros
  • Arya meets Ed Sheeran
  • Arya meets Nymeria
  • The Hound buries civilians he once robbed of their money and food
  • Arya reunites with Hot Pie and decides to go to Winterfell
  • Jon and Daenerys first meeting
  • Arya and Sansa reunite
  • Olenna goes out in style
  • Lannister Armies vs Daenerys’ Khalasar and Drogon/Loot Train Battle
  • Arya and Brienne train together
  • Daenerys burns the Tarlys
  • The Magnificent Seven go on a stupid journey behind the wall
  • Viserion dies
  • The Night King resurrects Viserion
  • Tyrion and Cersei reunite in private
  • Jon and Daenerys have sex/Jon is a Targaryen reveal
  • The Night King destroys the Wall
  • Jon flies Rhaegal
  • Jamie and Bran face off
  • Brienne is knighted
  • Sansa and Theon reunite
  • The Battle of Winterfell
  • Final Battle of Winterfell montage
  • Arya kills the Night King
  • Melisandre fulfills her purpose as a walking plot device
  • Daenerys snaps and burns King's Landing
  • Cleganebowl
  • Arya's journey through a burnt King's Landing
  • Cersei and Jaime die a weirdly romantic and peaceful death
  • Jon kills Daenerys
  • Drogon burns the Iron Throne
  • Bran is voted King
  • Final season montage: Arya, Jon and Sansa's destinies
  • Book-ending last shot: Jon leaves the Night's Watch with the Wildlings

Last edited:
updated with the moments I collected, feel free to promote other moments you remember/thought of or PM me to add to the list of consideration for other people

we could do a fun Worst Moments within this rate too if everyone wants to? Like Top 5 Worst Moments or sth before we proceed to the good ones. Could be funny tbh :rip:

miss anthropocene

try googling bible of pop
i’ve got 17 moments written down am gonna do 25, i need some margaery/tywin/olenna/joffrey scenes

ugh lannisters/kings landing/dany dominating my list so far, poor starkfads :jonny:

Ridley

The Real Queen
When it came to the The X-Files I tapped out around Season 6 and tbh I felt the series concluded with the first movie so that's where it truly was finished to me.

Now I face the same horizon with Game Of Thrones. Once the likely awful finale is over and done with I'll pick a point in the series and say "That's where it ended for me". A huge bummer. :saddog:

Not that I think this should necessarily make the rate or anything, but I've always had a weakness for this scene which I thought to be a perfect capper to S4.

The S4 finale 'The Children', as the title suggests, was all about the parent's young ones on 'Game of Thrones'. S4 explored in depth what ruling over a kingdom that is scarred and destroyed by war means now that peace has come but a power vacuum (Joffrey's death) is left in place. Over the course of its seasons, the show replaced the archetypical rulers, all men born into positions of privilege and power with women and broken men who had led a life less sheltered than their closed ones.

All of this reaches its climax when Arya decides to sail to Braavos instead of going to find Jon at the Wall, setting on a new path that is entirely hers. There is a determination felt that captures Arya's drive to finally be able to take things into her own hand, and shines a seemingly optimistic light of hope that her decision is not only truly hers, but one that will end up defining her for good, for something better. And as the closing shot of the season, I've always felt this emblematic as a beautiful look into the future - as if the show was sending us a hopeful letter. A promise to us that the children in this show are going to learn from past mistakes, they will manage to replace these power vacuums successfully, not because of privilege and birthright, but because they had to make their own decisions not expected of them, lived through experiences that stripped them of many of their birthright advantages away from their shelters but made it all the more clearer to them the dysfunctional system and society their fathers and ancestors have left in place. Many of these insights come after actively gaining experience away from old places, to learn amongst new things, for Sansa, for Tyrion, for Arya, etc. Arya saling to a new continent could not be more stark a reminder of that.

This scene is a sign of that stream of thought, and serves as a visual prophecy that all of these characters and children will now move onto a very new chapter in their lives that would be quite different from what the past four seasons represented, but would be necessary, for the eventually better good of themselves and the realm. A necessary journey that will starkly contrast how those people Westeros would define as traditional men - their fathers, kings, lords of privilege and traditional masculinity - are those men that have failed and left a broken and destroyed world behind for their children to fix.

"Valar Morghulis", Arya says. All men must die.

Last edited:
@Allstar Do a mini tier list of every GOT season. :bussy:

Example:

Amazing:
S1
S3

Great:
S4

Boo Boo The Fool:
S8
Amazing:
S1
S2
S3

Great:
S4

Good:
S6

Mediocre:
S5

Bad:
S7

Boo Boo The Fool:
S8

:bussy:

People who always rank S2 low ignore how well-construced almost all of its episodes the entire season were and how it had a season anchor (War of the Five King) that gave it momentum and clear determinations within that season! S3 is the pinnacle of the show's very best where they constructed a seasonal arc for every character that paid off within the season, tied individual installments together through theme or symbol, and managed to pull both episodic and serialized storytelling together. And, even though S4 is the start of the show writing around big moments, it's still genuinely great, lots of arc culminations and pay-offs (kinda like S6) but still tied together by so many themes. That's why I think it takes a very small edge over S6, although if I were going by favorites I really don't think either one is that much better than the other one, personally, and S6 has the best filmed episodes. S5 has a lot of bad, but as I've said before, there's a willingness to explore and devote time to everyone that shouldn't be discredited by people.

The last two on the other hand... I guess each had a highlight episode or two at least.. :rip:

Last edited:
Top Reload Bottom